We got fresh donuts! Yum!! And the seagulls wanted them!
Grand Pier – I’ve learned to love the British seaside for its attractions and bunting!
Yesterday we were visiting friends in Bristol. The sun was shining so we bundled their kids and our sore heads (from the previous night) into the car and headed off down to Weston-Super-Mare. What a great name! I wanted to make a short home movie of the trip, so mostly took short videos but ran out of storage (mental note for the future to be more prepared!). So these are a few of the pictures I took. And I got sunburnt!!!! I thought I had enough sun cream on for the soft British sun, but apparently I have been living in Europe (out of the strong Australian sun) for six years!
I thought the name might mean something to do with it being a brilliant seaside… but it actually means ‘Settlement on the Sea” according to Wikipedia. I think I like my version more!
Here are five fascinating facts about Weston:
- There is one of the largest tidal ranges in the world here, so when the tide goes out… out it goes for a whole mile!
- The locals therefore lovingly called it: Weston Super Mud! 🙂
- During the 19th Century it became very popular with the Victorians. Here is a photo I took off the wall in the restaurant from 1897:
- Grand Pier apparently ‘accidentally’ burned down in 2008.
- There is a huge gaming archade at the end of Grand Pier. We went twice because we got to play some wicked ‘modern’ games, but also some really traditional British archade games. In particular I had always wanted to tick of a Coin Pusher machine. If you don’t know what I mean Click here. We just used 2 pence coins and ended up winning quite a bit twice (and then losing it all….). Bucket list item #52: tick. Done.
- There are donkey’s you can ride on the beach! Gotta love a donkey!
- You can get fresh donuts everywhere!!! And ice cream!! And lovely fish and chips!
I think Weston-Super-Mare might be my favourite beach in the UK (not quite the world). That title would have to be held by my local beaches at home in Tasmania, Australia!!!! If you are ever in this corner of the world I definatley recommend a trip here for a great day out! Could be a romantic destination or ultra-kid-friendly!!!!
Where is your favourite beach in the World?